Friday, May 13, 2011

Ambient Advertising

          "What the HELL is ambient advertising?" These were my exact thoughts as my teacher brought up the topic in class. However, she sent out a chapter from a book with examples about what it is. Now I actually understand it! Ambient advertising is the advertisement that is found within our surroundings. This could be something like floor stickers or ads at the bus stop. So in other words,  in some place you wouldn't EXPECT to see an advertisement. I think this kind of advertising is effective to anyone, especially the Otterbein community because it will catch the student's attention. As a student myself, I am so used to advertisements on the television, and in magazines that I no longer pay attention to them. I do, however, notice the chalk drawings on the way to class, advertising a program going on at the school or the statistics of poverty, suicide deaths, etc because it is not in a typical place that you would see advertisements and it is making you aware of it since it is outside of the typical media. 
          I went and explored the website http://www.ibelieveinadv.com/ and looked at ambient advertising examples and I found some that really struck my attention. 

       This ad was designed and used around chandeliers, light switches, doors and plants. The ad is not targeting a specific person or age group,  but to anyone to show that inspiration can be found anywhere, in everyday things.  I chose this example of ambient advertisement because I would never expect to see an advertisement at an office desk or by a chandelier. I think this is most effective because others also wouldn't expect to see an ad in these simple, every day places. 

        This was my favorite example of ambient advertising. This ad was meant to show the "wrinkle free" steam wash that this washer provides.  The laundry bag was given to neighborhood laundries to deliver their ironed clothes in. The ad is targeting adults that want to have clean, wrinkle-free clothes right out of the washer so they don't have to take the time to iron clothes. I chose this ad because I thought it was very creative. This became a walking advertisement, which is why this advertisement is so effective. It looks like the ironed clothes are inside the washer. It catches your eye, thinking someone is carrying a washer. It would make you stop and look. I love this advertisement and how effective it is!



1 comment:

  1. Good choices of ambient ads lauren! Glad you finally know what ambient ads are! - Evelyn 10/10

    ReplyDelete